FocusMe Community
Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode - Printable Version

+- FocusMe Community (https://community.focusme.com)
+-- Forum: Categories (https://community.focusme.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Suggestions and Feedback (https://community.focusme.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode (/showthread.php?tid=2882)

Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode - reversecubical - 12-31-2018

Hello everyone!

tl;dr: I wish there was an option that allows users to start the breaks manually instead of automatically in Pomodoro Mode.

For example, when the break starts, I might still be in the zone and want to continue working. However, the break starts automatically. Sometimes I don't want to lose the break so I end my work (albeit somewhat reluctantly). Yes, I could continue working but when I want to take a break by then, my break time is already over.

If you care for more elaboration:

For example, in my case, my setup:
40 min work > 10 min break > 40 min work > 10 min break and so on

Sometimes, when it's already 40 min, I want to keep working. So I miss the 10 min break. But after working for extra 20 min, I want to take a break. But the break would have already been over and now I'm in the work session, locked out of all my entertainment and thus the option to take a break. I could work straight for another 20 min (a total of 90 min) for the second break but it's not sustainable in the long-run. So I'm a bit reluctant to use this feature, yet it's a great system. I've never finished a whole Pomodoro session due to its rigidity (lack of flexibility).

So it would be very nice to have the option to open up FocusMe and start the break manually after the work session has ended; to have the control over whether to start the break when the work time is up.

I think an extra button for Pomodoro timer might do: check this box if you want to start the breaks manually. The default would be automatic break time (as it is now)

Does anyone use the Pomodoro mode frequently? Are there any workaround? Thanks!

RE: Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode - glenn - 01-03-2019

Hello reversecubical,

Perhaps you can achieve something like this is you enable Pausing on your Pomodoro plan? This way, you can pause your plan for those times you need that extra break.

You can access the pausing feature on the last page of the wizard (6/6).

Hope this helps!

RE: Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode - reversecubical - 01-04-2019

(01-03-2019, 10:22 PM)glenn Wrote: Hello  reversecubical,

Perhaps you can achieve something like this is you enable Pausing on your Pomodoro plan? This way, you can pause your plan for those times you need that extra break.

Hope this helps!

Dear Glenn,

Thank you very much for reading and the advice! However, with pausing enabled, I can also stop earlier than my scheduled work duration, i.e. pausing before the 40-min mark. My suggestion in the post allows me to take a break ONLY AFTER the 40-min has been met.

Though I appreciate your help. It is better with your suggestion:
Taking extra steps to stop the plan intentionally due to legitimate reasons (e.g, "I finished my intended work already!") and with random passwords to buffer a bit between impulse, are certainly better than purely replying on willpower without any Pomodoro session at all.

I will use it until (hopefully!) my suggestion gets implemented into FocusMe. Thanks again Big Grin

RE: Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode - reversecubical - 01-05-2019

(01-03-2019, 10:22 PM)glenn Wrote: Hello  reversecubical,

Hope this helps!

Hello again! I've tried to enable pause in the Pomodoro plan. It's still too rigid for me. For example, work session: 40 min, worked 60 min, paused for 10 min, it resumes at 20 min left for the 2nd work session, as pausing doesn't reset the timer. I get notified 20 min later which is too early.

I don't use Pomodoro session now. If anyone is interested, now I use the normal block plan with pausing enabled. So the default is to block distracting websites all the time unless I specifically pause the plan. As James Clear points out in his book "The Atomic Habits", the second law of habit change: makes it (the response) difficult. This is less than ideal but it's better than the Pomodoro session imo.

Cheers!

RE: Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode - jon - 01-09-2019

Hi reversecubical!

Did you notice that when you use a Quick Focus plan there is option in right click menu to 'Extend Time'? I mention it because I thought it may help you if I could add this feature for Pomodoro plans too. This way, you could easily extend your Pomodoro session if you were in the flow. I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement but if this would help you then I can look into it further. Smile

RE: Start Breaks Manually in Pomodoro Mode - reversecubical - 01-09-2019

(01-09-2019, 12:46 PM)jon Wrote: Hi reversecubical!

Did you notice that when you use a Quick Focus plan there is option in right click menu to 'Extend Time'? I mention it because I thought it may help you if I could add this feature for Pomodoro plans too. This way, you could easily extend your Pomodoro session if you were in the flow. I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement but if this would help you then I can look into it further. Smile

Hello Jon! Thank you for looking into this suggestion. I appreciate it!
> use a Quick Focus plan to 'Extend Time'
I just looked into it.

The problem is, having to intentionally stop my work and extend time is not quite desirable. I don't even use the "show timer" or "status notification" functions. I am sure you have experienced "flow state" in which you would lose track of time. Basically, if I were in the flow state, I want to extend it as much as possible; keep my focus on the task as long as possible, before the thought of "I want to take a break" creeps in. This is like hanging by a thread: once the attention is gone, the flow state is gone.

The problem is not every work session is like this. So locking in the future commitment with multiple Pomodoro sessions with more flexibility as to when to take a break is highly desirable (at least for me).

Per my suggestion, it allows the flexibility to extend work time automatically, yet securing the minimum amount of work time (even when I don't want to work). Also, I'm locked into multiple sessions so I don't have to do set the timer on and off every 40 min. Working many hours means having to set it more than a dozen time every day. When willpower is low, it's easy to give in to temptation. Sad

My daily plan: Quick Plan: 8 hours with Forced Mode (Forced Mode is important!); 10 pauses with each a 10-minute break. This simulates my suggestion. Although I can voluntarily take a break before the work session is over, generally I don't and haven't fallen yet so it's alrightSmile

==== The idea I have in mind===

An extra button for Pomodoro timer: check a box if you want to start the breaks manually.

Once time is up, keep the timer rolling. No automatic break when time is up (pausing the whole plan, e.g., stop it from going into the next session)
If I open up Focusme, I can start the break manually (so this resumes the plan).
With Force Mode enable, I can't start the break earlier than scheduled (as timer is not yet up)

Thank you for looking into my suggestion! I am sure it will enrich the program even more! Smile